Sunday, October 7, 2018

October 7

I am having an amazing time in England studying with a wonderfully amazing Alexander Technique teacher. I am learning so much! He is taking something that looks and feels like magic and teaching us the refined components so we can do it too. I know that is what all of my AT training has been, but now I’m ready for this next level. I’m learning how to lead groups more effectively and how to work more effectively with my hands on an individual. Since this teacher was part of my original training, it feels like coming home, even when I am so many miles from home. He has a playful, loving, attentive joy in life, people, and teaching that is just beautiful. It is a gift to be learning from him. Again I extend the most enormous thank you to the people making this trip possible by taking care of the home front. 

Before I left for England... Sarah has gotten good at tying her school shoes in the new way! I color coded laces of big shoes of mine so she could practice without the pressure of a school morning. Then I got white laces for her school shoes and color coded them to match. Within a few days she was tying with confidence rather than frustration. 

The first time Sarah had to take a shower, you probably heard the deafening screams. Keep in mind that Sarah loves rain parties so this was a puzzling (if predictable) response. This was about a month ago. The following week there was not a scream to be uttered! The first time, when she was screaming, I stayed calm but still made her do it, and then reflected that I was a terrible person and shouldn’t have forced. When things went so smoothly thereafter I didn’t know what to make of things, but I’m pleased that we are where we are. 

It is so easy for me to see where I wish Sarah was and to despair. It is also easy to flip that and remember to notice how incredibly amazing it is that she can tie her shoes and play the piano while singing along! 

As with so many things in life, every new step can seem completely impossible until it is achieved and then it becomes humdrum. How amazing. 

Lots of love and amazingness to all of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment