Saturday, January 14, 2017

January 14

The girls have strep throat again. This is the second time for each. Neither time has either of them showed any signs of having a sore throat or being very sick at all. It is always other little odd symptoms that are different for each child so it takes me a while to realize they need to see a doctor. Anyway, I have been washing everything all the time. 

This week was the week of bus frustration. A week ago on Friday, Sarah’s regular driver had an emergency situation so when I was expecting Sarah to arrive any minute, I got a call saying that a new driver was on the way to the school but might not get her until 3:15. She normally gets home a few minutes before 3 and then has her SR session with G on Friday at 3. I do understand emergencies so this was ok to need to cancel the time with G. I decided to go get Sarah rather than have her there for any longer than she needed to be. Monday afternoon when I was expecting Sarah to arrive, I again got a call. This time the substitute driver just didn’t show up so a new sub was on the way but her pickup would be quite late. Amy and I hopped in the car and brought Sarah home. Tuesday morning the bus was late. I called to see if it was coming. The line was busy for several minutes. When I finally got through they said it was a driver in training and would be there in 15 minutes. 30 minutes later it was pulling away with Sarah finally on board and with two more kids to get! They were leaving my house when school had already started 15 minutes ago! If I had known how late it was going to be, I would have just taken her at the usual time and she would have been on time. We were ready in our entryway for an hour! Sarah was screaming for the van for a large portion of that time. I felt out of sorts for the whole day.

On the plus side, Sarah had vision therapy after having a break at home and she had a notably better experience. She also sometimes does some of the activities on her own at home, which is good because the notion that she would do any of them at my suggestion is laughable. When the therapists shows Sarah what to do and prompts her to do the same, Sarah easily and happily does it. When I suggest that we do one of the activities the idea is usually roundly rejected. This is why it is good to have multiple people involved in raising our little bear.

I have been enjoying reading good books. For many months I had books that I wasn’t really fully enjoying but wasn’t letting myself abandon and they gummed up the works because then I just didn’t read. Now I am flying through books and loving it. I just started reading Peter Nimble by Jonathan Auxier. I love it so much. There are some sentences that are somehow so perfect I just want to eat them and I am delighted to have a book this delicious. Why is it so hard to remember that I need good books the way I need good food and time with friends?

Monday and Wednesday were quite low-key when I was home with sick kids, then Thursday and Friday were quite packed. I haven’t seen so many clients in so few days for years! Not that it was a huge amount, but compared to my normal amount it was and it felt great. It was also a good reminder to up my Alexander game. When I only see one person every couple of days it is ok to sometimes be sloppy with my body mechanics. When I see 5 people in 2 days then I have to have good use or else I get myself all messed up in my own muscles. I had to do extra speaking to myself about using my legs because on Thursday afternoon I went on a very long walk so my legs didn’t think much of the idea of putting in more effort. 

My parenting win for the week was making individual omelettes last night for dinner. I hardly ever cook omelettes so I didn’t feel entirely confident. The filling was red pepper, bacon, and cheese (Daiya shreds for Sarah). They tried them! They liked them! They ate them! I will do this again! 

Anyway, I hope you are all well and warm and that no one has strep and that your buses are all on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment