Sunday, March 15, 2020

March 15

What an unusual time we are in right now, globally. While yesterday could have been any other Saturday, it felt much longer and quite different. In an attempt to slow the spread of the corona virus, all Pennsylvania k-12 schools are closed for the next two weeks. Carl is working from home for the next month. I will not be seeing clients for some amount of time. There will be no gymnastics classes for the next two weeks. Sarah will have virtual piano lessons. SR time with Sc will be postponed, with possibly a Facetime call. I am keeping the girls home from swimming. While all of this would be challenging at any time, it is especially hard when you are an almost 9 year old whose birthday is this coming Wednesday and whose party was supposed to be yesterday. We really wanted to go forward with her party, but realized the night before that we couldn’t in good conscience do so. You may have heard Amy’s cry of despair when we told her. She was already heartbroken about school and gymnastics and swimming. The birthday party took the cake. She was so sad. We gave her all the space and support she needed for her feelings. Then we frosted her actual cake and cupcakes, which we had baked before realizing the party couldn’t happen. This means we are amply stocked for our time of social distancing. We also gave her an early birthday present of Joss, an American Girl doll. She loves Joss and takes her everywhere she goes. To help Amy’s Saturday be joyful, Sonia sent pictures of adorable cats throughout the day. My birthday celebration items have also been postponed, but if we can all come through this relatively unscathed that will be the real gift and the cause for huge celebration. 

Before everything changed… last week Sarah got a new swim teacher. Her previous teacher has moved on. When I heard the news I cried because I had really loved her old teacher and thought she was just one of the best people to work with Sarah in any capacity. She was amazing. I am not yet similarly impressed with the new teacher. I am trying to keep an open mind and a patient heart. And who knows when we will resume lessons?! 

Since Sarah was a baby, we have had a Walt Whitman quotation on her wall: “You are so much sunshine to the square inch.” On Monday I picked Sarah up early from school for her annual well-visit checkup. I told her that I loved her so much. Later in our drive she said, “I love you so much to the square inch.” I love that blend of phrases!!!

Sarah has now biked over 350 miles in the last 6 weeks with her Zwift bike. Yesterday we even had to stop her from doing more because she had done so much we thought she needed a break.

Yesterday I washed all of the things. I know I didn’t actually wash every surface and every item of clothing/bedding, but it felt like it! Amy and I also started a game of Catopoly which could keep us busy for quite a while.

May you all be well and stay well!

No comments:

Post a Comment