Sunday, March 1, 2020

March 1

Sarah had her first rehearsal for Peter Pan, her school’s musical. She and her classmates from the St. Anthony’s School Program are in the ensemble. Her teacher said Sarah mostly just wanted to flip through the script book and told her teacher she felt stressed. I don’t know if she actually felt stressed or if she heard other kids saying that. When I asked her how rehearsal was she said it was good, which is her standard answer when I ask how anything was. I am chagrined that I will be in England when Sarah has her performance. I am waiting to find out if I can attend a rehearsal.

Yesterday morning Amy was selling cookies at a  Girl Scout Cookie booth. Sarah wanted to be part of it so I took them both. Luckily we all listened to my wise suggestion to wear snow pants. It was so cold! Last year when we did a booth it was so cold and windy that the power went out in the buildings near the booth. This year it wasn’t that windy but if anything it was colder. When we were done we warmed up with grilled cheese and tomato soup. Then we donned our cat ears...

We went to the matinee performance of “CATS." The last time I had seen it I was probably Sarah’s age and I mostly remember that when I went to get dressed for the show I discovered that my guinea pig had died. I remember being sad, although admittedly a guinea pig is not a good pet for me. It was not with great equanimity that I handled the squealing and water-bottle-whapping in the middle of the night. Anyway, I didn’t remember much about the show. After watching it yesterday I can understand why I didn’t remember the plot. There isn’t really much of one! But the dancing was amazing and I did really enjoy some of the songs. Amy loved the whole thing and started singing one of the songs as soon as we left. I had no idea how Sarah would do and we were fully prepared to have one of us leave with her if need be. She did beautifully for the whole first act, sitting on Carl’s lap and talking to him a lot of the time, mostly quietly. She said she wanted to be on the stage and dancing. After intermission, though, she was done. So Carl took her to the lobby and then they even watched some of the tv feed of the performance. Before they exited, there was a moment when Sarah was holding her drink and standing near the front of the balcony. I was concerned that she might drop the bottle but I also knew that if I said anything to her she might rebel. Sonia picked up on my concern and easily, calmly drifted over to connect with Sarah and take the bottle. I am in awe of her Mary Poppins-esque powers.

Amy provides a daily report of how many days remain until our shared birthday. This whole getting older business is startling. I see pictures of myself and I wonder who that person is. I see Amy and Sarah becoming more capable and independent by the day and I wonder how that is possible. Sarah now gets off of the bus by herself (wearing her backpack), closes the door, and walks around to the sidewalk, up the stairs, and into our house. She seems so grown up!! I used to meet her at the bus door and help her get down, now she doesn’t need that at all. 

Both girls continue to do Zwift, the biking thingie that turns their bike into a stationary bike and lets them watch a virtual self biking through a course. I think in the past month Sarah has ridden well over 200 miles. On Friday she did at least 90 minutes. Amy’s favorite part is the sprints. I have been doing some too, though I’m not quite sure that it agrees with my neck because my hands have been more tingly than they have been in a while.

I taught a continuing education class on the Alexander Technique and I continue to be in awe of the technique and how my ability as a teacher has improved notably since I started my training in England. Apparently I can actually help people have new experiences! As with so many things I know it is a continuum. It isn’t that I wasn’t helping people before, but I am thrilled to be feeling more helpful and capable now.

No comments:

Post a Comment