Sunday, July 9, 2023

July 9: Swimming and England

On Monday Sarah and I had our customary time at the pool where Sarah gets a lesson and Amy and I swim. Amy didn’t go this time because she had already gone swimming at camp. A few weeks earlier when we had been leaving the pool I was so shocked to see the lifeguard looking at his phone and drawing that I didn’t say anything to him. This time when we arrived he was on his phone again. This time I inquired if he was actually able to attend to the pool while on his phone. He took umbrage and I certainly didn’t make a new friend but I’m glad I said something. I also emailed someone at the facility but I haven’t heard back. 

This week we watched both Puss In Boots movies and Amy wore her matching slippers for the occasion. Sarah was more attentive than she is for some movies and now likes to pretend to climb a giant beanstalk. 

Carl and I took advantage of the holiday on Tuesday to work on our basement. We made tremendous progress and now have an exercise center. Sarah has used the treadmill multiple times and used the one pound weights once. She likes to get going very fast on the treadmill so I strapped a gymnastics mat and pillow to the cement pillar that is just behind her when she is on the treadmill as a little extra safety insurance. 

On Wednesday evening I left for England, and before I went I was surrounded by love and hugs. Sarah was clearly feeling a bit stressed about it and pressing on her chin. Then she said she would make love loops or something like that, referring to a tv show I think. So there are pictures of Carl and Amy draped over me giving me hugs as I bend to get my bags, while Sarah is standing nearby to show me the loops she drew on paper and cut out. 

Before I left I wrote little notes for each girl to open each day. Carl says they have been enjoying my letters. 

I’m in Bournemouth, England studying with the Alexander Technique teacher with whom I have studied in the past in England. He was also one of my original teachers when I was training to be a teacher in the first place, starting 19 years ago! I’m with some of my friends that I made a few years ago here and it is lovely. We are in walking distance to the beach, and on Friday it was sunny and warm so I even went in the water. All the way except for my face and the top of my head! That is unusually bold for me given that the water was a bit chilly. I had so much fun jumping with the waves and thinking about how Amy would be proud of me for getting in and playing. 

While I’m away Carl, Anna, and Grandpa are covering things at home. This weekend Carl and the girls went to a beach at a lake. Unfortunately Amy forgot to bring a swimsuit despite Carl double checking with her and her belief that she packed one. Fortunately, Sarah happened to pack 5 swimsuits! And one of them fit Amy well enough. They also had a fun time pretending to jump in a pool (a couch) as the turkey from Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton. The turkey is always wearing the wrong thing or wearing clothes incorrectly, in this case jumping in the pool fully clothed. 

Sometimes when I have been away the phone signal hasn’t been strong enough for regular calls or calling seemed to make Sarah more upset missing me. For this trip things have been different. Sarah FaceTimed me twice on Thursday which was lovely and unexpected. I called yesterday and did FaceTime with Carl and Amy and Sarah. Sarah loves talking about how we will do hand holding when I get back, pretending to be Daniel Tiger and Mom Tiger. Amy likes to show me many things while on FaceTime and I try not to get seasick as the camera moves all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment