Sunday, October 30, 2022

October 30: Tricksters and Pumpkins

I know I haven’t been able to find all lost things, but the number of times I have found Sarah’s lost rings and the manner in which I have found them astounds me. Yesterday she lost a favorite ring while playing in a large pile of leaves at our house. I found the ring after sifting through many handfuls of leaves. 

Yesterday was a glorious day in terms of weather and leaf color. We ate lunch outside and were even too warm in sweaters. Later we met a friend who does our annual family photo shoot. The kids were more amenable to this than usual, including playing in more leaves and throwing leaves at each other so that both have little pieces of leaves mixed in their hair. After the photo shoot we went to Millie’s Ice Cream Parlor for the first time in ages. Millie’s has delicious ice cream, including many dairy-free options, which is how I’m trying to skew things for Sarah lately. When we got home we carved pumpkins, and Amy even cleaned most of the seeds out of hers despite her dislike of such a task. Amy carved a witch hat and stars, Sarah drew many things on her pumpkin in Sharpie but only cut out a small rectangular-ish shape. She says hers is a musical note. Carl did a truck face, perhaps for a robot truck, and I did a happy face.

Sarah was an absolute trickster on Tuesday. Her regular teacher was not at school but got a call from the assistant teachers and thus called me. Apparently Sarah wasn’t feeling well and another kid had also gone home sick so they wondered if something was going around. I quickly canceled my upcoming appointment and went to get Sarah, feeling concerned if she was sick because we have been having such a good run of her being well (knock on wood). Well… as it turned out… Sarah was totally fine! I do know she has strong mirror neurons so when she saw another kid legitimately being sick, she probably emulated all of the symptoms well. We know she also knows all of the things to say when sick or trying to get out of something by being sick. I could see a glimmer in her eye even as we walked to the car. She proceeded to be happy and bubbly for the ride home and then joyously ran down the block after I parked, toting her new library book for which she had been eagerly waiting. Once at home she continued to play happily, easily ate her lunch, and then had a nap. I have never been happier to have been tricked. I was so relieved that she was actually well and she was in such fine form that I delighted in her presence in the house. I almost wanted to shake her hand for her achievement. Instead I chose not to point out anything about her actually being well. 

Sarah's newest favorite book as of Friday is Does A Kangaroo Have A Mother Too? By Eric Carle. This means she likes to ask us repeatedly if a bear has a mother too, to which we reply quoting the book, “Yes, a bear has a mother, just like me and you.” She proceeds to ask about other animals or creations such as “Does Baby All Done have a mother too?"

Having checked with Sarah’s doctors, it seems that her thyroid level is only a little low and the best course of action is just to check it again in 6 weeks. We met with an allergist who ordered bloodwork but I will wait 6 weeks so we can get everything done at once. 

I am still searching for a new swimming lesson and venue, but now for both kids. I had thought we had a new solution figured out for Amy where she would practice with a swim team but without the commitment of a certain number of practices. Thursday was her first official practice that wasn’t just the coach getting to know everyone a little and sorting kids into groups. Amy did not like the practice at all. She loves swimming and loves the water, but wants to go more at her own pace and not be driven to go fast, fast, fast, with hardly any time to rest in between laps. So. Good to know before we needed to sign any paperwork. I’m so glad she knows herself so well. As she said, if she is going to pursue her passions then she wants it to be fun. Yes to that! It has been many days since I sent out two inquiries regarding possible lesson venues for Sarah and no one has gotten back to my emails or calls. Why do places have web forms if they don’t work? And why voicemail if it doesn’t work? I will call again. My dream scenario would be a pool with private lessons for Sarah and lap lanes available so Amy and I could swim while Sarah has her lesson. 

Fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow, specifically from 5pm-7pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment