Sunday, February 6, 2022

February 6: From Bunnies to Band Practice

The whole week has been cold and snowy. Tuesday morning as Amy and I walked towards her school we saw what looked like a dead but intact bunny on the sidewalk near our street. We crossed the street, but as I looked back I saw the bunny move a leg. I told Amy that if it was still alive when I walked past again then I would see about taking it to a wildlife rescue center. It was still moving slightly. Luckily my sister-in-law Sonia knows things. She was able to tell me how to use flat cardboard and a box to scoop the rabbit up with minimal disturbance to it and how to transport it to the rescue center. My inclination would have been to talk to it to assure it that I meant to help, but Sonia said bunnies are quite susceptible to stress and that it would be best to not talk to it and to drive with no radio. I tend to be squeamish about such situations of dead or nearly dead animals, but I persevered and successfully delivered the rabbit to the rescue center. Unfortunately, when I checked with them later to see if the bunny lived, they said it had not. Apparently it had many internal injuries. I haven’t told Amy the end result and she hasn’t asked.

Tuesday night Sarah had a small seizure. It was bigger than one of her startle moments, but big enough that we ran in to her room. It was done by the time we got there, as is often the case. It is good her seizures continue to be small, but it would still be better not to have them at all. Carl came with me and Sarah on Wednesday to meet with Sarah’s neurologist for an appointment I made weeks ago. Normally it is just me and Sarah, but this time we knew we might be discussing changing her medication. I may never understand why such appointments take so long and why we must first talk to a nurse about everything and then go over it all again with the doctor, but such is the system. We did walk away with a plan and Sarah also got her covid booster shot. Last night I started her on a very low dose of her new medication which she will take in tandem with her other medication that she has been on for years. After we titrate up to the desired level of the new medication and wait for a few weeks to see if it helps, then we will wean her off the old medication. 

I felt anxious last night giving her the new medication. I know it is meant to help, but I get scared about adverse responses. She did have two startle moments in her sleep, but those were probably normal. In my anxious sleepy state I thought she seemed groggier in her sleeping than usual. How can one sleep more groggily? That makes no sense. So I am pretty sure all is well. 

Due to a forecast of freezing rain and snow, Amy’s school was virtual on Thursday and Friday. Sarah had two snow days. Thursday it just rained and was 36 degrees! In my day…. Anyway, it was fine. Grandpa was able to be with Sarah while I went to teach on Thursday. For Friday I cancelled my clients because the forecast seemed more legit. We did in fact have a coating of ice on everything. Sarah also seemed more tired than usual, probably because of the booster shot, so it wasn’t a bad thing for her to have two days to rest whenever she wanted.

Yesterday Sonia and her partner took the girls to band practice! Sonia’s partner is part of a band so they went to his real rehearsal space and the kids got to sing and try out the instruments. They had a wonderful time. I didn’t go along because I was able to get an appointment to donate blood so that is what I did.

Carl is away for a skiing trip. Luckily the weather here didn’t interfere with his flight out Friday morning. We miss him but know he will be back soon. Sarah asks daily if he is coming home today, but she is also happy to get to sleep next to me each night.

Some other highlights of the week include Sarah singing “Amazing Grace” to baby Sadness to help her sleep, and Amy dressing up as Lena Leopard complete with marker applied to her face to give her spots. Sarah, Amy, and I played Peppa Pig Monopoly. Our dining room is covered in glitter from Valentine production. And I found the sound piece for the Laughing Bag that Sarah so wishes we still had. I put new batteries in it and put it inside the paper Laughing Bag we made during her EEG months ago. It works! Lastly, I got a plastic push toy that looks like a duck and has webbed feet attached to the wheels and quacks as you push it. It was at the used clothing and toy store that I was near when I went to get some art supplies, so I had to go in. It was love at first quack so the duck came home with me. 

Lastly, some sadness. Today Carl and I learned that another friend of ours died unexpectedly and much too young. So our hearts are heavy. This is too many people our age gone in the last year. One would be too many, but four is unacceptable, though accept it we must. It brings mortality too close for my comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment