Sunday, May 30, 2021

May 30: Impeccable Timing and Large Scoops of Chocolate

Sarah likes to create delicious ice cream sundaes with loads of chocolate chips on top. Sometimes she goes a bit overboard. Carl and I suggested that she use a small scoop that would help with getting a reasonable portion. Sarah proceeded to select a scoop… the 1 cup measuring cup! That is bigger than her whole dish of ice cream! We were all cracking up.

Amy’s retainer has unfortunately disappeared. It seems impossible for it to have vanished in the short span of time that it did. She picked it up from the table to go up for bed, not putting the retainer in her mouth because she was about to brush her teeth. She picked up a few other items to carry to her room. And that is the last we know of the retainer! She is upset because she had been so careful overall and because now she has to have another mould made, and the process is uncomfortable and yucky tasting. We have looked high and low and every place that it could or couldn’t be, to no avail. 

Friday we drove up to our mountain house, and our timing was truly impeccable. We quickly encountered a backup on the highway, and we could see billowing clouds of black smoke ahead of us. Our timing was good in that we weren’t in the accident but also that we weren’t too far behind it so we weren’t backed up for miles. As we passed the throngs of emergency vehicles we could see the shell of a car that had burned except for the metal frame. There were people standing off to one side and we didn’t see ambulances so I am hoping everyone was ok. 

As we pulled into our driveway a deer that had been standing there bounded away. That’s when we noticed something small still in the driveway. It was a fawn! Looking at how damp and compressed it was and how it didn’t move at all, we realized it had just been born. After we had been inside for half an hour the doe must have returned because the fawn was gone. The next morning Amy and I saw a doe and fawn just outside her bedroom window! I didn’t have a way to take a picture because I knew if I moved I would miss the moment. Amy and I just hugged each other as we imploded from the cuteness. 

Sarah and Amy have been riding pretend horses, each sitting on one arm of the sofa. Sometimes they really have to work to keep their horses in line because they keep trying to eat the plants on the side of the path. Last night they went to camp and were floating in a lake made from blankets on the floor. Amy was trying some sophisticated swimming moves and kept getting water up her nose. 

Whenever we have raspberries, Amy likes to put one berry on each finger to represent each Weasley family member from Harry Potter. Carl just finished reading the last HP book to Amy. Our cat Olivia likes to participate in Amy’s witch life by parking herself on Amy’s witch hat. 

Sarah saw someone mowing a lawn recently and wanted to pretend to be that person so I got our old push mower out for her. She did several passes on our backyard.

My exciting news is that my conversation with an editor went well, so I signed a contract with her and submitted my manuscript to her for a read-though. The read-through will give me overall feedback and some samples of detailed editing. After that I will do the detailed editing process, but I wanted to get some feedback in short order. So far my tiny selection of readers have really liked what I have, but they are also people who know and love me. I chose them for readers because I felt safe giving them my work. Not that this invalidates their opinion of my book, but I did know they would be interested in my words! I’m curious about the response of someone who doesn’t know me at all. 

May you have unplanned impeccable timing and large scoops for your chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment