Sunday, November 22, 2020

November 22: Piano Recital and Better Mornings

Last Sunday Sarah had her first virtual piano recital. She has had recitals before, but they were all in person. She wore her musical note shirt, shorts, and scarf for the occasion and she did a beautiful job playing her pieces. Carl helped with the zoom while Amy and I stayed upstairs so we wouldn’t distract Sarah, but we still dressed in fancy clothes for the occasion. 

As you know, weekday mornings Sarah has routinely had a very hard time waiting for Anna to arrive. I have felt grumpy about her upset because it would always happen as I was trying to exercise or do something else to prepare for my day. Tuesday morning I somewhat sadly gave up any of my goals to snuggle with Sarah and do “tiny tiny” and “tick tock” while waiting. It seemed to help her pass the time. So Wednesday morning I decided that every morning from 8:10 (when Sarah’s homeroom ends) until 9am (Anna’s arrival) I would do “tiny tiny” with Sarah. I would have no other goal than to be fully available to her. So of course, Sarah decided to attend her homeroom teacher’s virtual class that followed homeroom! She didn’t want me with her. So there I was ready to play and with no other plans, thus at loose ends! Thursday morning was the same. Friday mornings are slightly unpredictable with homeroom and it doesn’t always happen since the in-person students are heading over to Mass. Sarah was upset that there wasn’t homeroom and didn’t want to attend Mass, but she was open to hanging out with me in her room and drawing pictures, cutting out musical notes, and taping them to the pictures. So often in life I don’t want to fully change my course of thought or action until I know that such a change will help, and yet that’s not the way it seems to work. To have any change I needed to fully commit to embracing things as they were and then suddenly they weren’t that way anymore. I know my sample size for the change is small, so it is possible that after writing about it everything will change again.

Last weekend I made bread and Amy drew in the flour on the counter to create a witch. Her drawn witches often have their hands held slightly behind their back, thus avoiding the need to draw hands, which can be so awkward. She continues to dress as a witch and had a wonderful moment conversing with our black cat. She and Anna and Sarah had potions class on Friday afternoon and other various magical classes throughout the week. 

May you all have easy solutions to any awkward moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment