Sunday, August 23, 2020

August 23: School for Amy and not forcing the laundry

 A week ago I asked Sarah if I could wash her gymkhana t-shirt because she wears it daily and it was getting a little stinky. I explained I could wash it after she was in pajamas for the evening. She said no. I assured her that was ok and that I wouldn’t wash it unless she gave me permission. An hour or so later she took a shower and changed into a different shirt. I asked if that meant I could wash the gymkhana shirt. She said no. I said ok. An hour after that I asked again and she gave me permission to wash THE shirt! It felt wonderful to get to the desired end without forcing anything. I am now beginning my requests again regarding the shirt and her corduroy shorts that she wears daily.


Another sweet moment was when she woke up at night calling for me. I went in and she was sitting up in bed. When she saw me she said “that’s better” and lay down. I asked if she was too hot. No. I asked if she had had a dream. No. I asked if she just wanted to know where I was. Yes. 

Often Sarah doesn’t seem to mind when I leave for work or errands. On Thursday I was in and out more than usual and at one point when I was home she got very upset about my upcoming departure. She cried for maybe close to an hour while I was with her. While she missed me when I was away, it was with much less upset.

Amy started (remote) school on Tuesday. The academics don’t really start until a couple of weeks from now, so the first few weeks are to ease in and reconnect and make sure the technology works. So far so good. It is more streamlined than in the spring. Amy goes to a special webpage and does her activities for the day (usually in about an hour). If she has any zoom meetings there is a link just for live meetings so I don’t have to sift through my email to find what we need. Amy is eager for the academics to begin.

One of Amy’s school activities was to decorate blank face masks. Amy has a store-bought mask that is pink and makes it look like she has a smiling cat face. Sarah loves to talk about this mask. Amy made Sarah a white mask with pink cheeks and a cat face. Sarah loves it and loves to be cat twins with Amy. They were twins when I took them to get their bangs trimmed.

Last night we heard Sarah singing to herself “Some like yogurt hot, some like yogurt cold, some like yogurt in the cup 9 days old” I love that she adapted the Peas Porridge Hot song all by herself!

Amy made the tallest lollipop ever out of paper. It is nearly as tall as she is and the candy part is as big as her head. 

We have weekly family zooms with some of my family and sometimes the girls participate. This week they were eager to tell Grammy and Granddad and their uncles everything and to show them everything.

Amy has been wanting to play soccer so Carl bought a goal for our yard and the girls helped assemble it. It’s been a bit too hot to really play though. It wasn’t too hot to run to get ice cream after dinner a couple of nights ago.

Amy wasn’t feeling well last night in a way that felt similar to the last time she didn’t feel well (nausea, chills). Our best guess is that she gets a bit of heat exhaustion when she is outside and active for too long on very hot days. She isn’t always the best at hydration. From now on we know we need to do a better job of making sure she is getting enough fluids and salt. She spent the night on the couch and I spent the night on the floor near her. I think I slept better than if I hadn’t been right next to her. This way I could trust that I would wake as soon as Amy did. I spent all of my waking minutes praying that she would be well and assuring myself that my rumbly tummy was due to my fear and reminding myself to breathe fully. I also kept reminding myself that as far as I knew, Sarah and Carl were well. They are. I am too, although I still have a body filled with a bit of adrenaline. Amy doesn’t have a fever and doesn’t seem to have chills anymore, but still isn’t back to her regular self. Any prayers and healing energies are most welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment