Sunday, August 16, 2020

August 16: Sarah as a snuggly mouse in my house

 For starters, why mouse/mice and not house/hice? Why not mouses in houses? Sarah’s latest expansion for our snuggle play time is to say, “I am a mouse in your house, mama!” If I ask if she is a mouse in my house then her face lights up as if it simultaneously delights and calms some inner part of her being. Along with the words, she loves to snuggle into my chest, as if my body is the house. We also sit cross-legged (or I attempt to) and come up with phrases that rhyme with “criss-cross applesauce” such as “Amy has a doll named Joss,” “Sometimes at night I floss!” and “I wish I had a ball to toss!"

Sarah recently (finally!) received her musical note backpack. We also made shorts from a pair of her corduroy pants and she is thrilled to have fringe as the ends fray. To match sitter A’s corduroy shorts, Sarah wanted her name embroidered on her shorts. I attempted to coach her through this project because she wanted to do it herself. That did not go particularly well, but at least I bailed early and Carl took over. He stayed much calmer and was able to assist and coach her for her part. She is excited to be Dr. Ridge or Dr. Ridge Musical Note Mouse.

This week we have been on vacation and went to the beach many times. That has also felt safe with plenty of space all around. On previous beach trips Sarah would stay by the shore line. This time she was fully immersed in practicing her swimming. We worked a lot on her keeping her mouth shut when under water. This is still a work in progress. Amy was her usual mermaid self, wearing her mermaid tail and braided seaweed in her hair. Amy also helped her American Girl dolls play in the sand and swim. 

Sarah helped with dishwasher installation and weed wacking, both girls became expert corn shuckers, and both girls and dolls attended the Arts Academy boarding school. Amy led an art class for the dolls and drew the work of each student. In A’s words, it was “Amy-azing.” The Beanie Boo stuffed animals went wild, hiding in various places and making a pyramid and sleeping all in a long row in a bed. Since Sarah loves saying “Shave and a haircut, two bits!” we watched “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” and now Sarah likes to pretend she is a (car)toon about to fall in the Dip. 

Last night the girls performed ice dancing in our living room, with Amy leaping around gracefully and Sarah pretending to be hit by ice lasers from the Mario Kart game. I love how they can each express themselves so differently and be in the same play scenario. They tried to teach me to play Mario Kart and every once in a while I didn't come in last. Honestly, I am not trying to let them win! I’m just trying to stay on the road. 

Earlier in the week we attempted mini golf for the first time ever. Amy enjoyed it. Sarah quickly wanted to be done and didn’t want any assistance even though she was holding her putter so awkwardly it couldn’t help but not work well. I was proud of myself for being ok with her struggles and with abandoning the attempt as soon as she wanted to be done. After 3 holes, Sarah and I went to get ice cream. I stood near her since she didn’t want me to sit with her. I just finished reading a book by another Son-Rise mom. It is Miracle In Slow Motion by Sally Wagter and it has reminded me of certain Son-Rise things I hadn’t been doing as often as I could. The main thing is to notice when Sarah is stressed and give her control in such situations when possible. It may seem counterintuitive, but often this is the path that helps people become more flexible. The path just tests my own flexibility too!

No comments:

Post a Comment