Sunday, July 5, 2020

July 5: Sphenoid bone adjustment... huh?

Hello people in houses!

Whenever we go anywhere, Sarah likes to say, “Hello other-peoples’-houses-with-windows!” She also dreams of having a house that is painted in orange and yellow stripes.

The evolution of our snuggle time is now…huh? When Mr. Greg read Mo Willems’ I Broke My Trunk he commented that the squirrel who observes Piggie with her broken snout seems to be saying, “huh?” So now Sarah wants to say “huh?” back and forth to each other. She also sometimes has a broken snout or asks me what happened to my snout. If you know the book, you know that the answer is a long and crazy story. Our Huh times can be long and crazy too, weaving in old elements of saying “Hello Kiddo,” and “Prance with the horses, skitter with the mice,” and being nice mice rolling dice in a trice, and saying, “but Gerald!… No, do not speak… it is too late” and blowing my nose on Sarah’s clothing, including her socks. It is like following an improvised piece of music and Sarah is the conductor. I can only wonder where this will go next after “huh?"

Monday was a big day in our household. It was Carl’s birthday, the girls had their first official swim lesson since the Covid-19 quarantine, and it was day 1 of getting my sphenoid bone adjusted. It took two attempts to make a carrot cake that held together, but it was delicious. Swim lessons felt appropriately safe. It felt a bit like being in a ghost town to enter the empty gym. Sarah has yet another new teacher, but I’m pleased with the energy level and Sarah-appreciation present. Now about the sphenoid bone…

Very roughly speaking, imagine a drawing of a large butterfly inserted behind your nose with wingtips up under your eyes and just above the roof of your mouth. That is the sphenoid bone. Having it adjusted also meant getting the rest of my cranial bones slightly more mobile. I had thought it would be a gentle procedure because the assessment to see if the work might be helpful was gentle. I was wrong. My hope is that this adjustment may help me come off of the meds for my cluster headaches. It was a 3 day process where the doctor would press on my skull and inside my mouth in various places. It was intense and sometimes quite painful. Each session of work was about 5 minutes long and then I would have 20 minutes to wait before the next one. I was there for 2 hours per day. They had recommended that I not drive myself because I might be really tired after the adjustments. On day 1 I felt great and wasn’t tired at all. Day 2, I was fine until I got home and had lunch. Then I felt so tired I just needed to close my eyes. I didn’t sleep, but for a few hours I just wanted to be still. I didn’t even really want to think. Day 3 I felt that level of tiredness after the first adjustment and it continued off and on through the day. The next couple of days I also had more fatigue but now I feel like myself with my normal level of energy. Thursday night and Friday morning I had a significant headache whisper, the first in ages. So that was supremely disappointing. I’m trying to hope that that was a last headache hurrah. If the adjustment doesn’t impact my headaches that is ok, but I will be chagrined. It just made so much sense that if my sphenoid wasn’t sitting quite right then it was putting pressure on my head and eye in the places where I feel headache pain. Anyway, fingers crossed. I have a short follow-up treatment on Thursday and then at least 2 more short sessions in future weeks. 

Tomorrow the girls attend their second week of Camp A. They are very excited. Sarah wants A to wear a Gymkhana t-shirt, corduroy shorts, and to say “huh?"

No comments:

Post a Comment