Sunday, June 21, 2020

June 21: Neck trouble and homage to Pigs Make Me Sneeze

It is hard for me to remember anything from the week, anything beyond my tweaking my neck in some way while I slept last Sunday night. I’ve been in varying degrees of stiff, painful lack-of-easy-movement since then. I’ve tried Alexander Technique, massage, heat, advil, stretching, not stretching, moving, not moving, praying, pretending there was nothing wrong, being very careful not to aggravate anything, and I’m still a mess. I haven’t had this much pain and trouble moving in many years. I will receive two massages this week from people who really know their stuff, so I’m tentatively hopeful. This is not how I wanted to spend my week. 

Sarah’s newest favorite variant of our snuggle time is to quote from Mo Willems’ Pigs Make Me Sneeze at the part where Gerald thinks he cannot have anything to do with his best friend Piggie. She says, “But Gerald,” and he says, “no, do not speak, it is too late.” According to Sarah he then blows his nose. So she wants me to repeatedly pretend to blow my nose on her clothes, arms, hands, and the bed sheet. I make a little “hmm” noise to be my pretend blowing. 

Both girls have been scootering well lately, including scootering to the playground with Carl. The playground is now open! So that is an exciting change.  Sarah scootered with Carl to a local outdoors store to get him a tie for Father’s Day. Somehow she also scored plaid pajama pants for me and for her as our Father’s Day presents. Meanwhile, this morning Amy got dressed up and put fancy dresses on all of her dolls so they were all ready to commemorate the day.  She also made breakfast by toasting frozen waffles.

Amy has been braiding my hair lately and I love it. I had been debating cutting my hair short again now that my hairdresser is working again, but I will keep it long for now so that Amy can keep styling it for me.

On Tuesday the girls made chocolate bark and covered animal crackers and apples, sprinkled with Nerds, marshmallows, graham crackers, and coconut shreds. This was all with their sitter A in preparation for their Facetime party with Sc later in the day. We dropped off a care package of treats for Sc so she was ready. 

Starting tomorrow the girls will be attending Camp A., named for our sitter. Camp will be each day this week and will take place at our house. 

I’m writing from what feels like a new desk. Carl put blocks of wood under my desk to make it a tiny bit higher so my thighs don’t touch the desk when I sit. This is lovely and I am stunned that we never thought of doing this earlier.

I hope you are all well and that your necks are moving freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment