Sunday, February 18, 2018

February 18

When we got to piano lessons on Monday the teacher asked who wanted to go first and both girls yelled “me! me!” while heading for the bench. The teacher did a joint lesson for most of the time. I love that the girls love it so much!

Swim lessons were amazing. Amy now wears goggles, is learning the butterfly, and is practicing diving down to the bottom to pick up rings. Meanwhile, because there are currently no other minnows with Sarah, she gets a private lesson, essentially doubling her amount of time with the instructor. A couple of times she pushed away from the wall and started floating all by herself! I don’t think I will ever stop being amazed.

Last night I awoke to odd thumping sounds coming from the girls’ room. I went to check, adrenaline slightly elevated. Sarah was in the closet. She said it was a tight squeeze. I asked where she was trying to go. She said, “to get a drink of water.” Oh poor thing! I’m glad I went to check. She often gets up to get water or come ask us to tuck her in. My guess is that our day just wore her out so she wasn’t as clear about things when she got up. I know there is some story about my parents finding me scratching at the front door one night, also looking for water.

A couple of nights ago we had a Goldilocks in our bed, which is not uncommon. When Carl picked up Sarah to take her to her bed she asked if he was taking the baby to the pack-n-play. I love that she can have that playful pretending even when she is mostly asleep. 

Ice skating! Carl and I hadn’t been ice skating for at least 12 years because I’m pretty sure it was completely pre-Sarah. The last time we had been to this particular rink was about 18 years ago! Thus, you may infer that the girls had never been ice skating, aside from pretending on slippery sidewalks. At first Amy was frustrated and upset about how she would never learn and it was the hardest thing she had ever tried to do in her whole life. By then end, after many many falls, she was skating with joy and ease, and then falling more. Still. I am amazed at her determination. Sarah held onto us or the trainer wedge longer but was delighted when she started attempting to move by herself and fell on her butt. We were outside. It was snowing. It was magical and beautiful and wonderful. I’m sure my muscles will be speaking to me later! Meanwhile, the girls slept in longer than usual. They got much more of a workout than I did. Much of my time was spent standing still next to them or helping them stand up and hoping I didn’t wipe out in the process.

On a different note, I hate that I am somewhat scared sending my kids off to school. I hate that I am scared about where the next school shooting will occur. Not if. When. Until there are significant changes in this country. I hate feeling frustrated and helpless and jaded and as if I want to puke when I see a picture of the president. I hate feeling like I must acknowledge what is going on in the country in this blog. But it is too important to gloss over as if it isn’t happening. Pecans and walnuts could kill Sarah. We don’t allow those nuts to cross our threshold. Semi-automatic assault weapons could kill my children. They should not be allowed to cross the threshold of being in civilian hands ever. They are for the military. While I wish there were no wars and that military operations could be different, let’s at least take this baby step to protect my kids and your kids and all of the kids. As Glennon Doyle says, “There is no such thing as other people’s children.” So, what now? There are some national days of protest. March 14 at 10am students and teachers can leave their buildings for 17 minutes to protest gun violence and to honor those killed in Florida. April 20 is the National Day of Action Against Gun Violence. Please share this information. If you are a teacher, do a walk-out. If you aren’t a teacher, tell the schools that your children attend. If April 20 ends up meaning keeping kids home from school (I don’t know if it will mean this), plan ahead and clear your calendar so you can be home with your kids. Please make your calls, send your emails, sign your petitions. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment