Sunday, February 16, 2014

February 16

Highlights from the week...

I noticed that Sarah sometimes says "um..." before answering a question. I love it!

Sarah responds more to Amy's questions and requests. Sometimes Amy even tells her, "Hara, you didn't answer my question. You can say yes or no." One afternoon they were both sitting on our coffee table and Amy started telling Sarah to get off and spin her, because our table spins. After several requests, Sarah did it.

Sarah had a great day at preschool on Thursday. She sat and played a board game with a teacher and several other kids for many minutes!!

We made Valentines together on at least 3 occasions. My favorite moment was when both girls were making Valentines at the same time. I had little pink pieces of paper and I would draw a heart and let them do the decorating. Both were so purposeful and intent that I could barely keep up with the demand. In the past I had thought about having a craft project and I didn't think it would work. I love it when I discover I am wrong about such things. 

We had a video phone call with Grammy and Granddad and both girls easily sat on my lap for the conversation. They each sang a song and Sarah answered a question. We know she can answer questions but it is still not something she does 100% of the time so to answer someone not here in person seems extra wonderful. What I appreciate about all of our family members is that they understand the importance of waiting after they ask a question so that the girls have time to think about it and then answer.

One morning Amy started rubbing Sarah's back. It went on for at least a minute or two and I felt like Sarah allowed it in a way that she might not have if it was me rubbing her back. Plus, it was incredibly sweet. Amy is the sweetest little sister to Sarah. 

For the past several weeks Amy would say she didn't want kisses from Sarah, which was too bad because whenever Amy cries then Sarah tries to give her a kiss. I'm not sure what changed but this week when Amy has gotten hurt she tells Sarah to give her a kiss to help her feel better! And Sarah always does. Sarah is the sweetest big sister to Amy.

On Friday afternoon Sarah had her 7 year check-up with her pediatrician. This doctor has been her main doctor since she was born and I feel like she really is delighted and amazed with how much Sarah has grown and developed. The doctor was clearly amazed at Sarah's language and how much she followed directions. Sarah had a great time overall and protested loudly that she wanted to stay. She was loving the little paper exam gown that was decorated with exercising bears.

Yesterday we went sledding for the first time this winter. After we each did a parent/child ride, the girls said they wanted to go by themselves. The hill was sparsely populated and with both of us we felt able to control the situation enough that we let them do it multiple times. Carl helped them get up the hill with the sled and I waited part of the way down the hill. At one point I had a super-mom moment when the sled was heading towards another child who was stopped on the hill. I ran and did a flat-out dive to divert their sled at the very last second so they missed the other sled by an inch. Not that any of this was at high speed so even if they had hit it would have been ok, but I still felt very proud of my accomplishment. We all had a wonderful time. Then we were able to have a play date with some friends who live near the sledding hill. It was a lovely play date and a nice rest period before beginning the walk home. Yesterday afternoon I was more thoroughly tired than I have been in ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment