Sunday, August 13, 2023

August 13: Blueberries and Braces

I may have purchased 8 quarts of blueberries! That is a lot of berries! Sarah helped me make a blueberry pie using Grandma’s recipe for the best blueberry pie ever. It really is the best. Sarah also helped sort berries so we could freeze some. This morning I am going to make blueberry bread and earlier in the week I made jam and a second pie. Delicious!

Last Sunday we had a brief visit with my aunt and uncle after we got home from Detroit. They were also driving home after a trip to Michigan. Even though the visit was short, there was still time for Sarah to read her new copy of Blue Hat, Green Hat to them. Sarah has decided she wants to be the elephant from that book for Halloween, and it’s never too early to start making costumes, so Anna helped Sarah create a cardboard elephant body with cardboard legs. 

Sarah sometimes misses me a lot when I go to work or teach and sometimes calls me in her distress. I fully expected a sad Sarah when I picked up her call during my session with a client on Monday. I normally don’t answer calls, but if I’m not at home and the kids are on their own, then I do answer in case it might be an emergency. It wasn’t an emergency and it wasn’t sadness! She was calling to let me know she had fixed lunch. I thought she meant she made her own lunch, but when I got home I discovered three plates covered with carrots and beets that I had cooked the day before. I adjusted the portions and filled out the rest of the meal, but I was impressed with her initiative to prepare food and to tell me about it.

Carl got a small yellow guitar that is designed to help kids learn to play chords. Both girls have played it, enjoying the game that Carl found online so you build a monster on an iPad as you play guitar.

I took Amy to see my chiropractor, and Sarah came along for the appointment. When we were walking to the car afterward my two goofy turkeys put their masks (a la covid prevention) over their eyes. Oops! Sarah also came along for Amy’s brace checkup. My car was at the dealer for some recalls and an inspection so getting to the appointment and then to get my car involved some long waits for Ubers and going through tunnels during rush hour. Good thing Sarah loves tunnels and even gets delighted by traffic jams. If only every commuter could channel her energy as she smiles broadly while saying, “oh no! Traffic!"

Amy wears her scoliosis brace all the time now except for brief respites when she first wakes up, before bed, and for Schroth therapy. She has had many big feelings, especially each time she has had to increase her hours or the tightness. Her first night of wearing it to sleep was a bit rough too. This Thursday she will get aligners for her teeth, just like Sarah has, instead of getting braces. That is a lot to manage as she looks ahead to starting seventh grade. It did not help her feel any better to learn that her bestie will not be in all of the same classes this year. Last year they were together from the morning bus through the afternoon bus and for all classes in between. Last night when we got the class schedule and learned of the mismatch, she was extremely upset, feeling like seventh grade is already just too hard. She’s one resilient cookie so I know she will manage it all and probably even have a good time, but that doesn’t mean the feelings aren’t intense. I also know from my own experience that the best way to get on the other side of such feelings is a good hard cry. I know this experience will also probably help her independence and confidence later in life, as my rough times helped me, but….if I had a magic wand I would still change things so that my doubly braced and aligned kiddo could have her bestie by her side all day.

Much love to all of you. May your alignment not be forced.

No comments:

Post a Comment