Sunday, May 7, 2023

May 7: Seizures, Strangers, and Extreme Heat

Amy’s English Language Arts teacher has had various art contests going alongside their various writing assignments. On Friday the winners were announced. Amy won 2nd place for two of the contests and 1st place for another! She was very excited, and this was a nice finish to her week that included PSSA testing. That testing on Monday meant that she worked through lunch and recess because no one told her it was lunch time. She often has to move to a different room to finish her tests because she needs more time. On Tuesday she was ecstatic because she finished without even needing to move to a different room. 

Sarah had her first dress rehearsal at the actual venue for High School Musical Jr. It went well and I somehow survived seeing her navigate the steep stone steps leading up to the auditorium. She was steady and fine, but I still wonder if there isn’t a set of less steep, less stoney steps for everyone to use! The rehearsal schedule said parents aren’t allowed to watch, but when I dropped her off two people said I was welcome to stay. I didn’t that day but I will this Thursday. I’m feeling nervous about her staying healthy and well for this whole week when she will have later bedtimes than usual because of the rehearsal schedule. Last year she got sick after the first performance of Peter Pan Jr, so only got to do the one night. So fingers crossed and any good wishes and prayers are welcome for this upcoming week. 

Last night Carl and I went out to see an improv show. It was a late performance so we had the parents of Amy’s BFF stay at our house till we got back at 11:30. Sarah was already tucked into bed before we left. As a precaution, I explained what to do if Sarah had a seizure, but said the chances were incredibly small because we have increased her meds and usually her seizures are around 3 or 4am. Did I jinx the situation? At 3 am Sarah had a seizure. It was the usual sort for her where it takes her about half an hour before she talks to us and she is wobbly on her feet but extremely determined to get to our bed. After some snuggling next to me she then became equally determined to be in her own bed. She seems to be in good shape this morning, but I’m sure we could all use a nap later. It always takes some time for Carl and me to fall asleep after such an episode because of our own adrenaline spikes. I’m also frustrated by this seizure because it seems like increasing Sarah’s medication didn’t actually take care of the situation. Carl and I both independently started wondering if we should ask the neurologist about putting her back on the med she used to take in addition to the one she’s on now. 

Yesterday was a big day for all of us. In the morning Sarah’s seasonal allergies were in full force and she waited longer than usual to have breakfast, so by the time she did eat she wasn’t feeling great. We wondered if Kid’s Marathon plan could happen. It did! But it felt like a last minute thing regarding Sarah’s participation. I ran errands and cleaned the house while Carl and the girls did the one mile kid’s marathon. Sarah got a high five from a Pierogi as she was valiantly persevering to finish the race. Carl went at Sarah’s pace while Amy zoomed ahead. After that adventure they waited in lots of traffic on their way to a bakery to celebrate, with Carl promising Sarah they could go to Rita’s later in the day because they didn’t have time after the bakery. Amy had a playdate with school friends and she walked in mere minutes before they arrived. Sarah and Carl had a long nap and I went for a long walk, unexpectedly meeting one of my best friends as I rounded a corner! It was a glorious sunny day and I was relishing my ability to walk easily again.

It has been a month since I started working with my new myofascial restructuring practitioner. I’ve had three appointments and feel like I have my body back in a way I had forgotten was possible. I also stopped wearing the sneakers that I thought were the most helpful pair of shoes I had. I got a pair of barefoot shoes and that plus the homework I do for my practitioner have made all the difference in the world. If I put on my old sneakers my leg starts bothering me in the same vague way that it had been for months. If I’m in my barefoot shoes I can walk for over an hour in the woods comfortably! I can walk at a pace that feels like my old speed, long before my hip replacement. And now I don’t think about my hip or leg with every step. A few months ago I felt like I had such a setback with my fall and that maybe PT and working with my trainer were overdoing things. Now my trainer even noticed a difference in how I’m moving. He even had me do a tiny jog and I could!

Something has been amiss with the heating system in my office for a long time, but it was never intolerable until this week when my office was probably 90 degrees. My office is in the basement and the thermostat is in my suite-mate’s room. My room is always notably warmer than her room. Her thermostat read 88 degrees. We have both complained to the building manager and have been told someone will look into it. We complained on Monday and I asked to be told when the work was scheduled. I have heard nothing. On Friday I opted to see my clients at home (not ideal but do-able) because I couldn’t bear the thought of doing four hours of massage in 90 degree heat. My clients would have been uncomfortable too.

The last part of this slightly unusual week was that as Amy left to go to school on Friday morning, someone sat up from our porch swing! It was a man who said he didn’t have a home and was just trying to get warm (it was 37 degrees). Perhaps I should have taken him to my office! I assured him that he could stay and I got him some food and blankets. He slept for 4 hours and then I gave him a warm meal. He spoke English but Spanish was his primary language. I speak some Spanish and can understand much more than I can speak. So between us we did alright, but if the timing for when he was awake had been different I would have called Carl’s mom to have her help communicate since she is fluent in Spanish. Anyway, the man was very nice and seemed quite moved by my kindness. When he left he took all of the blankets with him, so I’m glad I knew that was a possibility when I selected which ones to provide. He certainly needs them more than I do. I can only imagine all of the challenges he has faced and all that are yet to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment