Sunday, April 9, 2023

April 9: Hip Hitch, Scoliosis, and Florida

My right leg continues to not be as easily functional as it was even a few months ago. I don’t know if it was overdoing exercises and PT and or my fall. But I’m definitely not walking as well, painlessly, or as far as I was before. This has been disheartening and worrying. I just started working with a new bodyworker and I’m tentatively hopeful. His approach is holistic and overlaps with much of what I know and do, but is also quite different from anything I’ve yet experienced. 

I’m going to have this same bodyworker work with Sarah and Amy. Sarah, because her gait has always been slightly awkward especially when running, and because maybe the work could also change her ability to track better with her eyes. Amy, because at her recent well-visit she was diagnosed with scoliosis that is notable enough to send us to an orthopedic doctor. I’m surprised that I hadn’t noticed Amy’s scoliosis because now that I see it, it is so obvious. I want to do massage and Alexander with her right now! But we are on vacation and she also doesn’t particularly want me working with her, at least now. I’m trying not to worry about it because when I was pregnant with Amy I promised myself I wouldn’t worry about her, having expended so much energy and worry regarding Sarah. And yet, I can’t pretend this isn’t a thing. 

We left for Florida on Wednesday for spring break. Our flight was supposed to leave at 4:30 but was delayed until 9:15! Unfortunately the delay wasn’t declared until we were at the airport. As we weee hurrying to dye eggs before we left, a bit more time would have been nice. All of the walking in the airport while wearing my backpack was difficult for me, but the girls handled the delay extremely well overall. Luckily they love playing on the moving walkways and enjoyed some time at the kid play area, even though it is made for much smaller individuals. Still, the theme is Daniel Tiger so Sarah loved it. We arrived at our airbnb at 1:30am

Carl discovered Proino (that means “breakfast” in Greek), our new favorite breakfast restaurant. They have delicious crepes bursting with fresh fruit, whipped cream, and English cream. Every day Amy gets their banana and strawberry crepe with chocolate drizzles. Sarah always gets a toasted bagel with cream cheese. Carl and I vary our choices to combine some sweet and savory. All of us leave stuffed and content. 

Because breakfast has felt so substantial we usually skip lunch and just get some ice cream after a few hours of playing on the beach. After ice cream we head to the pool, then shower and go to dinner. I know, it’s a rough life! This morning Amy said that although she loves all of this, she is ready to get home and have more chill days! For the rest of us our days are super chill, but for Amy she plays non-stop in the waves and pool. She swims and uses her boogie board and does hand-stands. In the pool she jumps and flips into the deep end repeatedly. 

One night when we went to pay for dinner we were informed that someone had already paid for us! That has never happened to me and we have no idea who did so or what moved them to do it. But what a lovely gift!

The girls were surprised this morning to discover that the Easter Bunny visited our rental condo last night. Instead of baskets, each needed to find a hidden gift bag and there were also chocolate eggs and plastic eggs filled with jelly beans. As usual, even though the hunt ended hours ago, there are still some eggs yet to be found. We are also going to keep re-hiding some eggs just to be sneaky and see if Amy notices our trickery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment