Sunday, January 9, 2022

January 9: Exit Signs and Chirps

We are mostly unpacked and back in the swing of things. Sarah talked with her teacher about getting rid of the nickel system and seemed to have a good week. Amy had virtual school for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. It was fine, but some things took her a long time so she was working at school related things well past her normal dismissal time. One teacher assigned a New Years packet of pages to fill out with various things about the past or coming year. I think it was meant to be fun and quick, but it hasn’t been either of those for Amy. In fact, it is still looming on the horizon for today. 

Our cat has been thrilled to have us back at home, although she had a lot of meowing to do first, expressing her displeasure that we had been gone. Amy has happily soaked up tons of cat snuggles.

Sarah has been asking for weeks for an Exit sign that lights up. Yesterday Carl took her to use some of her Christmas money to buy an Exit sign. Now our dining room glows red. I’m not sure where this sign will ultimately reside, but Sarah is thrilled to have it.

There was one moment when Sarah wanted to listen to music on Carl’s computer while watching the progress bar for the song. He still had some work to do for the day so told her she could listen until the progress bar got to the 15-second mark. At 14 seconds, Sarah promptly switched to a different song. Carl and I cracked up at her precision and cunning.

I have no idea where Baby Bird was born, but that is Sarah’s newest love of who to pretend to be. She goes around saying, “Chirp chirp” and wanting me to respond in kind. Most people we encounter think it is adorable and charming. Most of my experience is of frustration if I am somehow not chirping just as she wants me to chirp and with the never-ending string of chirps. On Friday I really thought I would go out of my gourd if I had to chirp or hear any more chirps. However, yesterday when she came to give me some snuggles while I was reading on the sofa, she started bopping the top of my head with her nose after she chirped. I asked what she was doing and she responded, “pecking.” Again, I cracked up even though I didn’t actually enjoy the pecking.

Yesterday Carl and the girls went sledding, and then an hour later Amy went out again to sled with a friend. She was one tired kiddo after that. 

For all the times that the kids fight, it is also good to remember all of the times they play easily together. Last night as Carl fixed dinner we could hear the kids playing Chutes and Ladders and laughing at their moments of misfortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment