Sunday, November 21, 2021

November 21: Thumbs, Socks, and Baking

On Monday Amy fell during an indoor flag football game in PE and hurt her left thumb. It was swollen and bruised. She told me about it just as we were getting ready to go to swim lessons, so I didn’t do anything about it. Tuesday  Sarah and Amy and I tried in vain to get Amy’s thumb checked to make sure it wasn’t broken. We tried Urgent Care because I wanted a place with an x-ray machine. There was no wait to check in, but their x-ray machine was broken. We went across the street to Med Express. When the parking lot was filled to capacity, I should have just driven home. However, I parked two blocks away and we walked to the door. The door had a sign saying to wait in your car and call to register. I called. It was busy. On the fourth try I got through and was put on hold for 5 minutes. When I spoke to a person they said they were at capacity and couldn’t even put us on the list. I was told that we could come back in an hour to call to get her on the list, but we would have to be in the parking lot when I called. Um. No. We went home. Amy’s thumb has steadily been getting better so I am assuming all is well. 

About two weeks ago when Sarah had her piano lesson, her teacher was wearing piano key socks. As soon as we got home, Sarah put on her piano key socks. This was a huge change from her constant choice of Elephant and Piggie socks. This past week the girls received gifts of socks from a friend. Amy’s socks had cats and books, and Sarah’s socks had staffs and musical notes. Sarah put hers on immediately and didn’t want to take them off again even after two days when I said they needed to be washed. To her credit, despite some yelling, she did part with them. I ordered a few more pairs so now she can wear her new favorite socks daily.

Yesterday Sarah was excited to have two Anat Baniel Method lessons. She has been receiving such lessons since she was a baby. It is really gentle bodywork that helps wake up new neural pathways. Sarah has been requesting lessons for months. She loves her practitioner, who travels to Pittsburgh a few times a year, and she really loves watching buses as they pass the office window. In between her lessons we went to Starbucks and watched more buses. It was a good day.

The girls have been doing mostly-independent baking lately which I fully support by buying box-mixes. Amy is getting more confident about putting things in and taking them out of the oven. Sarah has been doing that part for a while, but ovens are hot and scary so Amy has been nervous and tentative. Amy loves baking. Sarah likes it but her real love is to make sauces with Carl for Hello Fresh meals. Or sauces that she makes up and uses with anything. She likes to combine ketchup, mustard, and mayo plus some spice packets, and then she dips every aspect of her meal in the sauce, whether it be a hot dog or grapes.

Sarah has grown 1/4 inch since March! This is huge because I thought she had stopped growing entirely. She is 4’9” and 1/4.” Amy has grown 2 inches since March and is 5’1.” Didn’t I just have infants?!

No comments:

Post a Comment