Sunday, March 14, 2021

March 14: Shots, Leaks, and Wonderful Surprises

Spring has sprung! New sidewalk chalk has been purchased and used. I got my first Moderna shot! Amazingly, about a minute after I sent last week’s update, a friend who read it sent me a message offering to help me get an appointment. Five minutes later she had an appointment for me for yesterday. I don’t understand her magical powers, but I think I may need to start putting more requests out to the universe in Sarah’s style of, “Oh, here is your…” to imagine that the thing I want has already happened. 

Monday did not go how I wanted, but in the end all was well. Monday morning started with stress for each kid about schooling and with learning that there had been a water pipe above my office that got damaged. Luckily I decided to cancel my client just in case my office was unusable. It was unusable for that day. The building people worked quickly to make things right, replacing ceiling tiles, drying the carpet, and reimbursing me for my lost work and books. Four of my favorite reference books that I keep on my desk were water-logged. While they are still readable, I would get no joy from the constant reminder of the leak. 

Yesterday we had the kids help clean the house because they knew we would reveal a surprise when things were clean. I don’t want to always need a surprise as a bribe, but I’m still glad that it worked. I think I continue to underestimate their capabilities. If they can make the messes then of course they can unmake them! Sarah is great at vacuuming as long as the floor is clear. She doesn’t yet assess the situation and decide not to vacuum dice. For instance. But I got the die out so all is well. 

The surprise was that Anna was coming for a sleepover and Carl and I were heading to the mountain house for the night. This was my birthday present to myself and it has been completely wonderful. Celebrations will continue on Thursday and next weekend.  This is my/Amy’s second covid birthday but this time we are so much better prepared. We can plan for it instead of needing to cancel everything. Carl and I went for a hike on a winding trail that felt like it belonged outside of the Shire, filled with moss-covered rocks and trees. Later, Carl surprised me with an autographed picture of the Tiny Chef and with a virtual Josh Ritter concert, complete with faux tickets and a merch table. I was floored and so happy that the tears spilled out. Then we slept and slept and slept. I don’t remember the last time I slept in so late, although daylight savings time made it seem even later.

I hope you are all well.


No comments:

Post a Comment