Sunday, September 20, 2020

September 20: Remote schooling sagas and paper roller-skate wheels

It was quite a miniature saga to get Sarah’s login information and Chrome book for school. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth to her school. Asking, asking, asking, asking, asking for the full login information and so many times only being given half of what I needed. Finally getting all of the details, only to discover how much Chrome books suck, at least for zoom meetings. What about the families that don’t have someone with the flexibility to make multiple trips to the school or the option of using other technology?! 

I took Sarah to school for her school picture. She saw the other kids at a distance and wanted to be there in person. Cue my self doubt about my choice to keep her home! And yet, I know I would worry so much more about every stray cough or sniffle or malaise if she was in school. And yet… I still doubt and wonder what choice to make for the next quarter.

Amy’s schooling is going relatively well, although she has times of crying about how it would be so much easier in person. She feels isolated in her room and is tired of doing so much on a screen and she feels distracted in her room. She deeply misses seeing her BFF in person. Often she mightily resists any notion of being cat twins with Sarah, despite Sarah’s eagerness to do so. Last night after many tears about school and friends, Amy excitedly pointed out that she and Sarah were cat pajama twins. For all of the frustrations, I think it really helps Amy to have Sarah at home. Tomorrow we will experiment by having Amy attend school at the dining room table and having Sarah there too. I will pack their lunches and maybe they will pack their backpacks. 

Anna did tons of amazing math practice with Sarah. They made a number line on our stairs and filled out many pages of activities and equations that they created together. I haven’t ever seen Sarah so eager to practice math that isn’t a computer program. 

Anna took the girls to the library one afternoon and Amy got some graphic novels about Roller Girl. She then created Roller Club and made paper wheels to go on their shoes so they could pretend to roller skate. I have ordered actual roller skates and protective gear, but we don’t yet have the skates. I hope this is a good idea! I loved my own roller skates, but that was me taking the risk of falling rather than watching my precious babies! 

Sarah and I are still often in our well-worn groove of clashing with each other. I am weary of it. I am working to turn this truck and focus on each little moment where she actually does listen easily to what I say or doesn’t whine/yell. I also feel weary of the oft-repeated play scenarios that usually have been a source of connection and snuggle. It only works when I’m not tired of doing them for the millionth time. We did have a fun moment yesterday when she was pretending to gasp in shock repeatedly. Her expressions and gasps were truly hilarious. 

Sarah and Carl had some fun times pretending that colored pencils were exploding fries, inspired by a commercial during a basket ball game. She also helped him assemble an outdoor heater so that we can keep having safely distanced porch meals with Carl’s sister and parents even as the weather gets cooler. I think this is the year that Carl saved Thanksgiving! If it’s not too cold or precipitating, we can actually be together. 

May your paper wheels stay on!

No comments:

Post a Comment