Sunday, February 9, 2020

February 9

Sarah’s birthday party was indeed a great success. Grandma played German music, Grandpa wore his stripes, Sarah only went outside without our knowledge once, Sc. did face and arm painting, the food was good, and everyone had a good time. My pictures are a bit blurry because it is hard to get good pictures of people in motion in low light.

We got the girls fully moved into their new bedrooms and the house is back in order (just don’t go in the basement). Yesterday I put the pictures and art back on their walls. I keep having visions of myself enthusiastically putting the basement back into order and then keep slumping away in despair once I actually go down and look at the piles and the bags of tiny pieces of games and toys. I will either need to set a timer for ten minute spurts or move down there for a day.

Friday we were blessed with a snow day combined with Carl being able to join us for sledding. This was the first real snow we have had this winter. 

The girls are having a good time making valentines. I know many people dislike Valentines Day. I have always loved it because my mom and I would make valentines for everyone and it was always a joyful time of making art and expressing our love to friends and family. I hope that this joyful association with the holiday can continue for Sarah and Amy as they grow.

Sarah has biked over 90 miles on Zwift in a week.  I did 5 miles yesterday.  My rear still feels it. I don’t know how she does it.

I have had some success helping Sarah calm herself after an upset or temper flare by sitting and massaging her legs or arms. It is a good reminder for me to make time and not be hurried unless there is an actual need to rush. If I take a few extra minutes with her then it seems to shift things more quickly and easily. I am also noticing more clearly in myself when I have a full tank of mom-energy and when I am at the end and really just need to sit quietly and read under snuggly blankets for a moment of stillness. This weekend I am solo parenting with the help of some sitters so keeping tabs on my personal battery charge is extra important.

Recently at the end of a gymnastics class, Sarah had a meltdown because she wanted a t-shirt and I said no. They also didn’t have her size, or so I thought. This past week she again wanted a t-shirt and I realized that she could use her birthday money and that she needed a size smaller than what I previously thought. So she very happily bought a Gymkhana t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment