Sunday, May 5, 2019

May 5

Snuggly school mornings have continued to go well. Now we just need to figure out a solution for hair-washing. We only do it once a week for the girls, but now Sarah clearly needs it twice a week. Almost always, the process involves lots of screaming and resisting. This is true whether we allow for two hours of no-pressure bath play time first or not. It would be so nice if it could be easier. 

Amy and Carl ran the Kids’ Marathon (1 mile) yesterday. Amy got her best time yet, despite briefly wiping out due to a missing brick in the street. Last weekend we all went for a training run. Sarah and I did a gentle run from our house to a playground a few blocks away. I was amazed at how far she ran. We have a tentative plan for next year that we will all run the Kids’ Marathon. I will need to start training now!

We have had a lovely visit with Grammy and Granddad. Perhaps you heard the shrieks of delight as they arrived, bringing some favorite stuffed animals to visit too. 

I think my cluster headaches are back under control thanks to a round prednisone. I still have tiny traces of them, but that is usual. My body is so familiar with the headache pathway that it can manufacture it on a low level on demand. I have had success with getting the mild traces to abate by focusing on my breathing and using the Alexander Technique. I also started reading a book that a friend recommended. It is by someone who cured himself from cluster headaches. It seems to be about paying exquisite attention to what takes you away from being really present and letting that go so you are fully present most of the time. So I am paying more attention more often to my levels of tension or lack of full breathing. 

Sarah’s first swim lesson as a Turtle 1 went beautifully. It is a good reminder that she can learn anything, even if it takes a really long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment