Sunday, February 17, 2019

February 17

Sometimes things work out better than you could imagine. The girls had their first ski lessons for downhill skiing today. The most amazing thing was that Sarah’s instructor is a teen leader with the Friendship Circle, an organization that works with kids with special needs. Seriously. How did we get so lucky?! Amy’s teacher was also a good match for her. The lessons were individual and each girl did beautifully. Amy was going down the bunny slope on her own by the end. Sarah went down with help but as a single smooth ride (by the end). What also amazed me about the whole thing was that we had no hesitation about Sarah’s ability to handle such a challenge and have a private lesson (no parents allowed). We have really come a long way from all of the things that used to seem impossible (walking, talking, eating). Now I just need to remember that our current challenges (screaming, resisting, spitting, etc) are just as surmountable. Every single challenge has at one time truly seemed questionably attainable or laughably unattainable, until the challenge had passed. I can bog down in current tough moments when I think they won’t ever change. But why won’t they? Doesn’t all evidence point to change and growth and possibility? Isn’t Sarah’s passionate stubbornness actually part of why she can do things? Even if it seems to get in my way now because I want my passionate stubbornness to win?

Sarah has a new swim instructor and I feel like it will be a good match. All of her teachers have been fine but some of them clearly are able to delight in her while requesting the right level of challenge. This new one seems to have the possibility of delighting in her. I hope so. For all of the times I may be frustrated and not find delight, I still want everyone else in her life to delight in her spunky self. 

Valentine’s Day went well. It is a huge holiday in our household because what is not to love about hearts and flowers and chocolate and making art? So that Carl and I could go out, I arranged for one of the girls’ favorite people in the universe to come over for a special Valentine’s Day party. I decorated with streamers and flowers. I surprised them with heart umbrellas and little nail polish kits. They ate tomato soup and heart-shaped toast. They had chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. Apparently they did their nails while listening to songs from “Annie.” Carl and I had a very mediocre dinner but we did enjoy walking 90 minutes home. We could have gotten a ride but we didn’t want to get home too soon! We knew there was a fun party and we didn’t want to get in the way. 

Thursday also had some kerfluffle due to the morning being slightly different than usual because of Valentine’s Day. I forgot Sarah’s anti-seizure meds. Due to various other factors, the earliest I could go out to her school was 1pm. Unfortunately when I got there I discovered that I didn’t have enough for a full dose, not by a long shot. Sigh. There wasn’t time to go home and back again. Then her bus was over 30 minutes late! So her first dose was quite late. It seems to have all been ok, but what a day!

May things work out better than you hope or expect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment