Sunday, May 20, 2018

May 20

Sarah tied her shoe by herself!! This is all thanks to her OT. They have been working on it for a long time. At the end of her session on Wednesday, Sarah put on her shoe and tied it so I could watch. I love how many things move from laughably impossible to totally achievable.

Sarah’s school program participated in some Special Olympics. Grandpa was able to be there the whole time and I was there for most of her events. The one I didn’t see in person is also possibly the best. For those of you that know the Elephant and Piggie book Watch Me Throw The Ball, Sarah’s jump reminds me of Piggie throwing the ball “all the way around the world” when really it went backwards a landed about a foot away. Sarah’s long jump took solid preparation and she cleared about three inches. So earnest. So hilarious. I have realized that we need to teach Sarah to throw overhand and to jump to cover a distance.

Amy’s school concert was on Thursday. As usual, the way to have Sarah sit quietly was to let her play with her phone the whole time. The amazing thing was that she stopped of her own volition when the third grade began their part of the show. (Amy’s first grade performance did not entice Sarah away from her electronics.) This may be because it included people doing some gymnastics on mats. Sarah mainly sat on Carl’s lap and wanted to talk to him, but she also watched the stage for many short intervals. This is really amazing and significant.

Carl and I are currently enjoying a weekend away, centered around a family wedding. The wedding was beautiful and getting so much time together is lovely. A huge thank you goes out to Carl’s family members and our SR team member and sitter Sc for making this possible. I was worried about Sarah being upset if I came home after work Friday morning to grab my suitcase and go, so I just took my suitcase to work and went directly to get the rental car. I needn’t have worried. The only tears that morning were from Sarah’s impatience for Grandpa and Grandma to arrive. As soon as they did, Sarah came up to me and said, “Bye, Mom.”

Lastly, my parents brought a necklace for me that I wore to the wedding. This is not just any necklace. It is a delicate little locket inscribed with my paternal grandmother’s initials. There are pictures of her wearing it when she was three! Inside are two tiny pictures, one of her mom and one of her older sister and dad. Her dad died when she was quite young, possibly 2.  It feels incredibly poignant and special to have this locket that connects me to my grandmother and her family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment