Sunday, March 11, 2018

March 11

Last Sunday we went to the Children’s Museum to see the Mo Willems exhibit. Sarah and I helped Naked Mole Rat get dressed for his fashion show. The girls wore small cardboard buses. Perhaps the best part was the Mo Willems’ recordings of how to draw his characters. We all participated and I was amazed at Sarah’s work. Now her SR volunteers are also helping her draw things by doing easy step by step directions that she can copy. Meanwhile, Amy’s characters were better than mine!
At home Sarah did more specific work with large dot markers on coloring pages than I have ever seen her do.

Last weekend the girls snuck extra phone and iPad time. When I came upstairs my bedroom door was closed and a note was written on a tissue in front of the door saying “do not enter this room” in Amy’s handwriting.

I went away for this weekend to visit my parents. Amy was sad, and I explained that when she was older she might do a trip on her own to see me. Amy was worried about who would watch her kids. I said the other parent of her kids would be with them. She anxiously said, “but Sarah and I are planning on marrying each other!” I don’t have the heart to explain how marriage usually works and that sisters don’t marry each other. The love and sweetness are just too wonderful.

During her swim lesson Sarah did her floating with “monkey, airplane, soldier” arms all by herself!

For gymnastics yesterday the girls were in a new class. Their class for the past few years has been for fun and experience but without really focusing on skill improvement. Now they are in the beginner class that does focus on skills. Carl said that both girls did well and that clearly Sarah fit in with being there. The only difference compared to other kids was that he was there to help her stay focused sometimes.

It took me a while to accept that Sarah could read. I kept proving it to myself over and over. I think it is the same now about sharing every bit of Sarah’s progress. Part of writing is to share the journey, part is so I will remember, and part is perhaps to prove to myself (a million times over) that she is progressing. She is, she is, she is. And, the biggest thing to remember is that that isn’t where her lovableness comes from. She is lovable just as she is whether or not she changes or progresses one iota more. That goes for the rest of us too. And isn’t it also wonderful to celebrate every little step towards a goal?

Speaking of which, Carl just said that he and the girls played Dragon Dash easily together. As if it was no big thing. But it is a big thing!! It is such a big thing that it is no longer a big thing! Carl wrote, “At one point Sarah got a tile with a dead end on it and she thought a bit and then put it in the right place, to block off an unneeded path and keep the main path alive. With no hints. Amy was clearly happy with Sarah. It was really great.” Wow!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment