Sunday, October 22, 2017

October 22

While talking to my mom I realized that there are many areas of life that used to be challenging that are now easy. School mornings, getting out of the house to get Amy from school, and bedtime. I don’t even remember when some of these things were hard except that I know a year ago they were.

We all have colds in varying degrees of intensity. I find it hard to stay present with the reality that none of us are terribly sick and that we will all get better. Last year had so much ongoing sickness that I feel like I’m entering a tunnel now and will only emerge in May. I hope this year is easier.

Assuming everyone is well enough to go to school tomorrow, I will have Sarah’s IEP meeting in the morning. Counting objects with a one to one correspondence, addition, interacting with peers, and attending for more than 10 minutes in a neurotypical class are her most challenging areas. What is exciting is that she tests at a first grade level for reading. Seriously. That just knocks my socks off. I know that she can read well and has been able to for a while, but to have it measurable at a grade level just below her actual grade seems stunningly awesome. I also feel incredibly blessed that I love Sarah’s school team and I know they love her. I don’t feel like I need to fight for anything or push for anything. I expect tomorrow will be an easy discussion of how awesome Sarah is and brainstorming any extra ways to help her.

Swim lessons have finally started again after a long hiatus due to pool repairs. Both girls jumped in right where they left off, and this coming Friday Sarah will be moved up a level!!!!!!

Sarah’s latest favorite game is for us to be sad pandas. Apparently when a mama panda is sad she says, “panda, panda, panda.” That is what Sarah informed me when I said I didn’t know what sound a panda makes.

Sarah has been helping Carl put a new floor in the treehouse. I love how much she likes doing projects with Carl and how much he teaches her to use tools. Amy also likes to participate but not as much as Sarah.

Amy pulled out my beginner piano book from when I was little and started playing notes (not following the actual music) while singing the words. When I asked if she wanted piano lessons she gave an enormously excited “yes!” Luckily I already know exactly the teacher I want for her (and maybe for Sarah if she is also interested). A friend of mine gives kids piano lessons and is an Alexander Technique teacher. How perfect is that?! I am hesitant to add yet another thing to our week but I also want to follow Amy’s excitement. If Sarah is interested then I want to make that happen too in part because her vision therapist is always saying that vision is rhythm. Sarah already improvises on the piano and it is surprisingly good.

Jeans. Those of you who know Sarah well know her love of jeans. Other peoples’ jeans. Recently she asked me for a pair of her own. She loves them!

I hope you are all well.

No comments:

Post a Comment