Saturday, December 17, 2016

December 17

You know you have a child with eating restrictions when a couple of hours before attending a birthday party you are hastily whipping up a batch of cupcakes so she will have something to eat at the party. I had been meaning to make them for days because I like to have them around as a relatively healthy treat. I kept putting it off because, well, I just didn’t feel like it. As soon as I realized that I needed them for the party I had a batch in the oven in 22 minutes. This was last Sunday. Unfortunately, then Sarah didn’t get to go because she had a fever. She didn’t want to eat or drink anything. Except a cupcake. That went down just fine. 

Both girls had school concerts on Monday but Sarah was home sick from school so missed hers. She seemed well enough to go to Amy’s concert so we were all able to attend, though Sarah spent the time asking to leave (until it was actually time to leave and then she wanted to stay and play with the chairs). Tuesday I sent Sarah to school because she seemed well enough, though she had a rash or hives of some sort all over starting Monday night. Given her skin sensitivity I wasn’t overly concerned, but I was puzzled. Then Tuesday night she told Carl that her ears felt like they were being squeezed like when she is on a plane. WOW. That is the clearest communication she has ever given us about what she is feeling in her body. So, to the doctor Wednesday…

Turns out she had scarlet fever. I had no idea that it is a kind of strep throat that comes with a rash. Sarah asked the doctor, “Can I wear your stethoscope?” and the doctor understood perfectly and let her wear it for a few minutes (and then cleaned it before using it herself).

This week seems full of people embodying my best intentions when I have trouble remembering them myself. On Tuesday the girls had dentist appointments and they are usually pretty easy. Luckily Sonia was available to help just like she used to. When we arrived Sarah was upset about various things. It was beautiful to watch Sonia in action again, being so creatively patient and calm in her explaining the situation to Sarah. A little later when it was Sarah’s turn to have her teeth cleaned, that did not go easily at all. My only guess is that it was due to Sarah being sick. What was beautiful was how patient and calm the hygienist M. was about the whole thing. She was the one saying that she didn’t want to force Sarah to do something Sarah didn’t want to do because she didn’t want Sarah to dislike the process in the future. Thank goodness for her wisdom because I was still feeling a bit anxious and like I needed to make it happen. Sometimes other people are my better self. 

I witnessed some beautiful Carl moments… It was bedtime and both girls were mad about it and didn’t want to go up to bed. I was thinking to myself, “I’ll show you mad…” Luckily Carl was in charge of bedtime. He asked the girls if they wanted a mad cat or mad bear ride upstairs. He then pretended to be such mad animals while carrying them upstairs as they giggled. 

I took Amy shopping for a new winter coat. She wanted something red. We went to Target. There was one red-ish coat in her size. She said she wanted it. We bought it. She wanted a treat at Starbucks. I got her a juice. Amy was very upset that I wouldn’t get her food because normally when we hit a Starbucks we also get food. I offered her an applesauce pouch or fruit bar. Nope. As we drove home she was crying about how she didn’t get anything she wanted and she didn’t like the coat. Awesome. After some calmer moments at home Carl looked at the new coat slated to be returned and suggested that he and Amy try to categorize the color by comparing it to other red and orange items in the family room. I am in awe of Carl’s ability to basically sidestep the emotions of the moment while still staying focused on the moment and somehow bringing in more connection and engagement with the kid(s). I did return the coat after all because I had seen some clothes I wanted to get for the girls for Christmas and had to go back on my own anyway. While I was there I found a coat we hadn’t seen before and it is the perfect Amy coat, covered in multi-colored triangles. Problem solved (for those of you who know Peg + Cat, cue the music).

Tuesday night with Sc….Sc brought presents for the girls. Sarah was disappointed they weren’t pants. Sc asked if she knew what one of the things was. Sarah didn’t so Sc told her it was a sewing machine. Sarah got a look of powerful understanding and said, “make pants!” The sewing machine needed batteries so Sarah asked for Sc to get the circuit board kit down because it had batteries. The sewing machine required a screw driver to open the battery compartment. Sarah said she needed Dad to come home. Sc said that happened at 7. Sarah went to the clock and moved the hands to be 7:00! What wonderful thinking she was doing. I am torn about her seeming to have this concept that Carl is the only one who can get her a screwdriver. This seems like a notion I should rectify in the name of women’s empowerment. On the other hand, I kind of like not needing to deal with certain things so leaving this misinformation in place could be rather handy. (She must not be remembering the times I have replaced the battery in her glow worm).

Sarah’s speech therapist at school wrote “Sarah came to speech with some of my 2nd graders. We played Christmas Bingo and Sarah was the “caller.” She named the pictures using a louder volume, clear speech (each syllable) & head up, looking at the other students. She did a very good job. I’m always amazed by her vocabulary!”

Sarah’s confidence and ability on the balance beams was very noticeably improved today compared to the past and that was even with no vision therapy session due to the scarlet fever.

Even with Sarah being sick I feel like this was a rather amazing and wonderful week. There is so much in the world that one can despair about, but it is endlessly rejuvenating to look at the people directly in my life because they are so deeply wonderful. I cannot help but conclude that people are amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment