Sunday, August 7, 2016

August 7

One day this week I went to make Sarah’s protein shake and was going to use hemp milk (something new we are trying in our attempt to get more variety for her). As I was pouring she said “tumpt.” I thought she said “trump” and was puzzled (and aghast). I thought maybe she was misremembering how to say “hemp.” Then I looked at the box. In large sideways letters it says “tempt.” I nearly fell over from delighted shock as I realized she had read this word that no one had ever said to her before (to my knowledge anyway).

Carl got the girls a bike to share that does not have training wheels and is much lighter and better than their clunky bike that does have training wheels. At the moment the new bike doesn’t have pedals either so they can practice the balancing part. When they were younger we tried a balance bike for them and neither was particularly interested. This new bike is more suited to their current size and Sarah loves it and even practices lifting her feet for short bits of time. She also likes to practice with the kickstand and with gently having the bike tip over in between her standing legs while saying, “oh no!” Amy is much more tentative. 

I finally got the camera in the SR room working again so I could work with a friend and with her kid. I think of it as an SR sampler session and I have done some in the past with different friends and their kids. I love doing it. It is a good reminder of SR basics and how to be really present. With Sarah I often know what she might like to do or might choose to do. With a new kid I have no idea so I have to be more flexible and quick on my thinking feet. 

I hadn’t had the observation camera working in a while and hadn’t worried about it because all of our volunteers are amazing and have been with us for years so I don’t feel they need much supervision or guidance. But here was a gift of observing… on Monday evening I observed Sc and it was just the most wonderful and beautiful thing. There was a moment, among many great moments, that was just an exquisite work of loving artful human interaction. Sarah was upset because she wanted to go outside to join kids playing in a sprinkler. Amy was in the room with Sc and Sarah. Sc scooped Sarah up into her arms while saying “I love that you can see something you want to do and want to join in the fun…now is the time to play in the SR room.” It was just so lovingly done. Sc then came up with different pretend sprinkler ideas. The girls didn’t go for that, but the art was in the loving response and creative offerings. WOW! I love being reminded vividly of just how amazing my team members are and that is a gift that comes with observing them even after so many years.

Buckets of love to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment