Sunday, September 20, 2015

September 20

Sarah’s kindergarten teacher says that things are going very well for Sarah in class. Sometimes she is distracted by the air conditioner but she has been focusing well on the activities the class does. Every morning there is a question for the students to answer and when I think of it I let Sarah read it rather than reading it to her. She can usually get most of it if not all.

While I didn’t do any official in-the-room SR, I did feel like I was connecting with Sarah more in an SR sort of way when I did interact with her. This seemed to help us overall with having less yelling and more snuggles. 

There was a moment when I saw something and said “that’s neat” and Sarah responded, “that’s so cool.” I love that. 

We are continuing to encourage Sarah to phrase her questions more correctly. She often says, “we can watch something today?” or something like that. We prompt her to say, “Can we…”

During a session with L., Sarah was doing something that L wanted to discourage but didn’t want to just say no. L. decided to change the game. She gave Sarah new instructions as if it was a continuation instead of a cessation of the activity. It worked! I love this creative thinking by L. This idea of changing the game helped Sc. and I think about a new possible response to Sarah when she pretends to be a screaming baby. Sc. implemented this yesterday by asking Sarah to sing “la la la” instead and it worked! In fact, Sarah didn’t play scream for the rest of the session. Woohoo!

G. wrote about when Sarah said, "'It getted to zero.'  I’ve never heard her make that kind of a developmental error.  That is, using the regular past tense form with an irregular.  Typically, Sarah either knows a word and uses it, or she doesn’t use it.  I rarely hear these wonderful little errors.”

I had a great talk with M. and we discussed helping Sarah stay focused within an activity as one of the primary goals of the year. We talked about going for my dream situation for Sarah for next year, starting now with thinking, planning, and going for it. 

Much love to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment