Monday, March 10, 2014

March 10

I am writing from the Billings, MT airport after having a wonderful, restorative vacation visiting one of my dearest friends, whom I have known since I was 4. We are approaching 33 years of friendship! I have been friends with her younger sister for the same amount of time. I am so blessed to have had such steadfast friends, who will continue to be my best friends for our whole lives.

Getting Sarah to get dressed in the morning or do any number of other activities has become easier lately thanks to Wonderful! She loves saying the word and she loves it when we say it. I started looking at her with an expectant gleam in my eye in the morning and asking if she knew what would be wonderful. She then whipped off a sock and she and I cheered, "Wonderful!" This idea is repeated for removing each item of clothing, putting on each new item of clothing, potty use, brushing teeth, and brushing hair! So much of the struggle is gone, replaced by exuberance. Wonderful!!!!

I have also expanded my gentleness and compassion. Sonia helped me notice that I had an easier time when Amy was upset than when Sarah was upset. I think now I am responding more similarly and with more softness in my own heart. I think this is helping us reach ease more quickly. There is easier compliance with my requests and then we celebrate together. Wonderful!

Alexander Technique lessons and reading often help me think more clearly about how I want to parent. With AT, an open hand is more effective than one that is not fully open. When I am open to my children and any given situation then I am more effective than when I am partially closed with resistance.

I took Sarah to see a naturopath that a friend had recommended. I liked this doctor very much and I feel hopeful about having someone local to see things about Sarah that traditional doctors haven't seen. She has longitudinal lines in her finger nails and some dark shading under her eyes and her skin is drier than it should be even in winter. I have a bag of tests to do when I am back. We will then wait a few weeks for the results, but hopefully this will give us more info about what Sarah might need to help her thrive more fully.

I have been thinking about Sarah's isms, especially the conversational isms where she likes to talk about the same things repeatedly. I want to let things be new. Even if it is seemingly a repetition, what if I could listen and respond as freshly as if it was new?

Our field trip was to a friend's house while my friend was on vacation and Sonia was dog and house sitting. My friend has an awesome play room! Sarah and Amy loved it, I am inspired to look into possible new play equipment, and we all got practice being around a sweet, energetic dog. Being around dogs has never been my strong point. Hopefully with Sonia's coaching, my girls will be more comfortable around dogs than I am.

While we were at the naturopath's office, Sarah tried to get a book out of the bag I had brought. The book was stuck and I heard her murmur to herself, "oh coffee." Later in the week, Sarah dropped a cashew on the step stool and murmured, "oh man." I love these genuine phrases that come out at such appropriate times.

I hope you all had wonderful weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment