Sunday, January 20, 2013

January 20

This week we got 36 hrs and 45 min. It really seems to be true that something always changes or comes up so that my ideal planned week doesn't quite occur as I thought it would. What is wonderful about the current plan and schedule is that we can still get amazing SR hours even with little blips.

I took Sarah to get her pre-GAPS-intro blood-work and she was AMAZING. I told her ahead of time about what would happen and went through the scenario several times. I didn't have any books or toys, so luckily the wait was short. She loved the chairs in the waiting room and the big chair for the actual blood draw. While the nurse was getting things ready I explained to Sarah again about how it would make it go faster if she could stay still when they had the needle in her. The nurse said that it is often better not to tell kids ahead of time about what was going to happen. I explained that she had special needs and that I had found it to be really helpful to tell her repeatedly exactly what would be happening. When the nurse returned with the second nurse (because Sarah was so young) she was explaining that she wouldn't have known Sarah had special needs if I hadn't said anything. Sarah then stayed still in my lap, watched the whole process, and cried but didn't fight it. The nurses were very impressed. Then when we got home Sarah said "fun budwok." I said "the bloodwork was fun?" "aya." (Sarah often now answers with "yes" or "yeah" but sometimes our beloved "aya" still makes an appearance.)

I have been bringing new books into the SR room a little more frequently and Sarah has been attending to all of them. Sometimes it isn't quite clear if it is an ism about the pages turning or if she likes the actual story. When I'm unsure I just pause and wait for her to request that I go on, which she almost always does. She picks up new words very quickly so after a couple times of reading a book to her she is ready to fill in words when we pause. One of her current favorites is called "I am small" and is about a baby penguin in the big, tall, steep, deep world, feeling safe because of being with the parent penguin. Sarah also likes "Don't Let the Pigeon Finish This Activity Book."

Last week I forgot to mention that we have removed the small tv/dvd player from the family room. There is also no ipad play. So instead of getting to watch a bit of something every day, now the girls watch something at most once a week (on the big tv, usually football with Carl). Sarah still asks to watch things but there is no great upset when the answer is no. As with removing food items that I thought were crucial; it seems to work remarkably well to just remove things and then Sarah adjusts and I don't get tempted to offer them. Sarah now asks for me to read to her much more often.

Sarah's eating still astounds me. The variety she is willing to eat and the health food she now consumes is so different from a few months ago. I really believe one of the most important changes was my letting go of my fears and limiting beliefs and thus offering new foods and persisting in having her try them (it really helped to have Sonia for this change). It also doesn't hurt that at this point she is a very accomplished chewer. She loves the homemade yogurt. She eats almonds, sunflower seeds, hard boiled eggs, prunes, currants, GAPS banana bread (my own converted Better Homes and Gardens recipe; super delicious), GAPS macaroons, stock, chicken soup, cauliflower "fried rice" with pork, dried peas, lima bean hummus, dried zucchini, pears, cucumbers, juice containing parsley and spinach, tomato/spinach omelet, coconut milk. Some of these things she ate before and some are new. What she no longer eats: 1/2 n 1/2, ice cream, granola bars, store-bought fruit leather, straight chocolate, store-bought cookies, hot dogs, cereal, goldfish, fries, donuts. When Sarah was super little and the food situation was super hard I used to dream of a time when we would look back and laugh and tell her about the crazy things we used to do to get her to eat. Yesterday I had a small bit of that moment when Carl and I were walking and reminiscing about when we would do stroller walks with Sarah, plying her with bites of food and counting calories (tracking each goldfish, eat bite of cheese or butter or hot dog). There was last year when I would drive around every day after her preschool so she would eat since it seemed that she ate better in the car; I wasn't tracking calories but I was excited when she ate 2 granola bars. I used to feel that we were such a bad influence when other kids would visit or see what Sarah got to eat; for the first time I am proud of what my kids are eating and amazed to see them chowing down on truly healthy things. If nothing else, GAPS has given us this wonderful experience.

Sarah loves her time in the SR room. She is always asking to go there when we aren't there and when her volunteers arrive she jumps up and runs to the door or she calls out their name. I'm not 100% sure that part of her SR room love isn't just because of her love of the jean shorts that we wear for her while in there; but even if that is the initial draw, that is ok.

I'd like to give a special thanks to my Amy team. I have volunteers who watch Amy and they are a hugely important part of this team - just as important as any of us in the SR room. It takes this village to make the whole process work as well as it is, and Amy is getting such lovely loving attention. And I feel so loved and supported by my Amy watchers. So thank you!!

I feel totally blessed by Sarah bringing into my life all of these amazing people and experiences. If it weren't for her condition and running Sarah-Rise, I wouldn't be having this amazing time with Sonia. We've always liked each other but it is super wonderful to spend most of each week together and really get to know each other so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment