Saturday, September 22, 2012

September 22

This week we got 16 hours.

Sarah is definitely talking more to her volunteers than in the past. She continues to tell stories about what happened to her or to Amy, mainly about falling down the stairs. Sometimes it is a bit confusing to follow whether she is talking about something that did happen or something that might happen or will happen (eg if someone falls down the stairs then they need to go to the hospital). Certainly not everyone understands everything she says but we are so much farther along than we were in January when we started with volunteers. On the one hand, of course we are farther along. On the other hand, I want to continue to notice and celebrate because it keeps me motivated.

This week we had some extra unscheduled time so I took Sarah back to hippotherapy. It went fine but it also reminded me why I had stopped and that it is still a good idea not to go regularly. It is just way too long of a drive for the girls for a very short time on the horse and it messes up Amy's bedtime.

When Sarah wants a certain person she usually says their name followed by "come in." One evening when I was putting her to bed and we were talking about the glowing stars on her ceiling she said "Moon, come in." (because there is no moon sticker on the ceiling.) I love when she can take her language that step farther into spontaneous and new sentences and sentiments.

When I took the girls to Trader Joes saying we were going to buy something for Mom-Mom, Sarah said her version of "buy a birthday cake." This was another new creation by her, showing that she really understood. She also then helped sing "happy birthday" to Sonia, with her solo sounding something like "happy buh tish you" with some lengthy pauses but some lilt too.

Sometimes I can feel tired in a way that isn't really about sleep. Sometimes I just want to let go and stop working so hard. What I love is that when I have that thought of letting go and falling, I never fall even an inch because I know that I have the hands of all of my volunteers and friends and family there holding me up with their time and encouragement and belief in Sarah and in me. Thank you all again and again forever and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment